February 13, 2012

Homemade Biscotti

This past weekend I was craving tea and biscotti to accompany me while I was sifting through my old piles of artwork from years ago.

Ok, you got me. I really just wanted biscotti and an excuse from cleaning out the clutter of memories before moving down to southern California.

I am of the mindset that if you are going to eat sweets, you must make them or the whole wonderful-ness is loss. You never crave store-bought sweets. When you leave a dinner party you never think, "wow, I really need another helping of the overly sugary, fake tasting pie". No, you crave and think about the homemade sweets. They have been made with sweat, love, and possibly blood in order to satisfy a sweet tooth. Hence, my Saturday search for homemade biscotti.

I fell upon this recipe on allrecipes.com (my go-to site) and it was so easy! All of the ingredients were common staples in the kitchen, minus the sliced almonds, and the process was easy as 1, 2, 3. The only alteration I made was using less chocolate. 'She said what?!' I did a quick taste test before adding the chocolate and these are so good because of the hint of orange zest that you can get away with less chocolate.

Enjoy!

PS: There are no pictures from my escapade because I was so focused on making these and then eating them. My stomach apologizes. 

Biscotti Toscani

Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • 2 teaspoons orange zest
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg  this could be replaced with cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips  I would recommend half of this amount
  • 1/2 cup toasted almond pieces

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour a large baking sheet.
  2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, vanilla, almond extract, and zest. Combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt. Stir into the creamed mixture until just blended. Mix in almonds. Divide dough into two pieces. Form into long flat loaves about 1/2 inch tall and 12 inches long. Place the loaves 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until a light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
  4. With a serrated knife, cut diagonally into slices about 1/2 inch thick. Lay the slices flat on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, turning over once. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
  5. Place chocolate chips into a small, microwave-safe bowl. Melt chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 20 to 30 seconds until smooth. Use a spatula to spread chocolate onto one side of each cookie. Let stand at room temperature until set. Store biscotti at room temperature in an airtight container. 

No comments:

Post a Comment