March 14, 2012

WHY you should go to Optometry School

I realized I posted why not to go to Optometry school recently, so I thought I would share some positive reasons as well to give balance.

What made me decide to go into the profession of Optometry?

1. I enjoy working with people, especially one-on-one situations where I can make a stronger connection. You don't get much closer to someone when you're looking into their eyes and they can smell what you ate for lunch. Invest in mints people!
2. The human body has always fascinated me. I still can't get over how intricate the human eye is when it comes to nerves, muscles, and tissue repair!
3. Being able to work regular hours in a health care profession to allow me to have options later in life (ie balancing work and family)
4. Specifically for Optometry: you can have a direct impact on someone during their evaluation.
5. It isn't as long as medical school (seriously, I like learning, but not for that long).
6. You don't have many emergency situations involving blood and guts though I have witnessed a kid throw up (it was flu season).
7. Glasses are sexy.

#7 for the win! Ok, maybe I just think that, but they are pretty amazing when you think about the physics (totally just lost a reader...).

What you should realize is that regardless of what you are pursuing, if it is Optometry, Medicine, Philosophy, or English Lit., you must really ask why. Why do you want to do a job for the next +40 years? Is it for money? The ability to help others? The prestige? Whatever the reason, whatever the goal, find the reason why and you'll be able to succeed.

Enough corny, inspirational pep talk for now. But seriously, think about the why.

Until Next Time,

powerkat

No comments:

Post a Comment